Wow. I cannot begin to tell you how I feel right now. I have accomplished something that I never really actually thought I could...until I did it.
When Dolores called me last summer to tell me about the half marathon, I was sitting on a lounge chair at Lake Lanier Islands. I was so excited about the event because all I heard was "Disney" and "Princess". I had no idea how long 13.1 miles really was and what I was getting into. I started training in the summer and thought I was going to die. I am was not a runner. Who was I to think that I could just start running at 29 years old?! Well, I did. While I'm still no good at it and really don't like it, I feel like I have accomplisted something after every run.
For several months I practiced and listened to stories from my friends that were training as well. We all got sick and injured and kept on trying. We worked hard and encouraged each other so much that I started to feel as though maybe I was going to make it.
The day before I left, I showed my class the promotional video for the half. My kids asked me if I was going to win. I told them that
I wanted to finish and that would be good enough for me. They promptly replied, "We know you are going to win. You have to know you are going to win." I teared up.
While I was driving down to Florida, I started to realize that this was really going to happen. I wasn't backing out. I was going to do my best. I promised David that if either of my bad ankles decided to give me a hard time, that I would quit. I didn't have anything to prove other than trying my best.
Spending time with Dolores, Allyssa, and Becky helped me relax and get ready for what was to come. Allyssa got us in the spirit by decorating our hotel room and introduced me to "carb-loading", which my be my new favorite thing! We ate a prerace dinner at the T-rex restaurant with my mom and John. We were in bed by 10.
Allyssa woke us up at 3am to get ready for the race. We were in line by 5:30 and we all had to pee because we were so nervous. We took pictures with Kelly, Gail, and Kaye and got ready to go. When it was our turn to run, Corral D was wished well by the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella and sent off with fireworks.
I kept up with Becky's powerwalking for about 2 miles and then she was off. For someone who decided not to train, she blew me away! I was so proud but sad that she was ahead of me.
Jogging/walking this half marathon truly gave time to think and see what I was really made of. Each mile marker showed me that I was getting somewhere but I didn't feel like I was getting there fast enough. My right ankle (the one I had surgery but hadn't been bothering me lately) really started to hurt and I was glad that I decided to wear both ankle braces for good measure. I walked more and more the farther I went but kept a good pace. It was so funny to see the sights. I saw a daddy running in a hot pink tutu that matched his daughter's. I saw a man dressed in a full frog costume. Another in a Cinderella dress. I loved the Ariel tails and the princess dresses that passed me. I was also touching to see pictures of babies and friends that runners were dedicating their efforts to. I really tried to take time and mentally take in what I was seeing. So many people were encouraging and all the volunteers clapped and cheered at all the watering stations and sight seeing stops.
Mentally, I had to decide I could do it. After I prayed for strength, I rememebered everyone that I HAD to tell that I finished. I thought of David and how much he believed in me. I thought of my 6 friends that would have finished before me, with no doubt that I would be right there behind them. I thought of my mom who was waiting by the mile 13 marker. I couldn't wait to call my Daddy and tell him that I did it. Then, I thought of the 50 some 4th graders that believed in me. I didn't have an option to tell them that I didn't do it. I thought about faking a fainting spell and what would happen if I slowed down and was picked up. It just wasn't an option. I thought and thought and kept on moving. When I got to mile 11, I made a new friend. Her name was Cori and she said she couldn't do it. I told her we both could and we wouldn't stop until we saw our familes. Her husband and son were waiting for her near my mom. We didnt' stop until we saw them and when I saw my mom, I ran up and cried. She said, "I love you but you aren't done yet." I ran the last tenth of a mile like I knew I was going to finish all along. Dolores was waiting for me and Allyssa was right behind her. I hugged her and cried and it hit me. I finished. I didn't know until that minute that I could.
When Dolores called me last summer to tell me about the half marathon, I was sitting on a lounge chair at Lake Lanier Islands. I was so excited about the event because all I heard was "Disney" and "Princess". I had no idea how long 13.1 miles really was and what I was getting into. I started training in the summer and thought I was going to die. I am was not a runner. Who was I to think that I could just start running at 29 years old?! Well, I did. While I'm still no good at it and really don't like it, I feel like I have accomplisted something after every run.
For several months I practiced and listened to stories from my friends that were training as well. We all got sick and injured and kept on trying. We worked hard and encouraged each other so much that I started to feel as though maybe I was going to make it.
The day before I left, I showed my class the promotional video for the half. My kids asked me if I was going to win. I told them that
While I was driving down to Florida, I started to realize that this was really going to happen. I wasn't backing out. I was going to do my best. I promised David that if either of my bad ankles decided to give me a hard time, that I would quit. I didn't have anything to prove other than trying my best.
Spending time with Dolores, Allyssa, and Becky helped me relax and get ready for what was to come. Allyssa got us in the spirit by decorating our hotel room and introduced me to "carb-loading", which my be my new favorite thing! We ate a prerace dinner at the T-rex restaurant with my mom and John. We were in bed by 10.
Allyssa woke us up at 3am to get ready for the race. We were in line by 5:30 and we all had to pee because we were so nervous. We took pictures with Kelly, Gail, and Kaye and got ready to go. When it was our turn to run, Corral D was wished well by the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella and sent off with fireworks.
I kept up with Becky's powerwalking for about 2 miles and then she was off. For someone who decided not to train, she blew me away! I was so proud but sad that she was ahead of me.
Jogging/walking this half marathon truly gave time to think and see what I was really made of. Each mile marker showed me that I was getting somewhere but I didn't feel like I was getting there fast enough. My right ankle (the one I had surgery but hadn't been bothering me lately) really started to hurt and I was glad that I decided to wear both ankle braces for good measure. I walked more and more the farther I went but kept a good pace. It was so funny to see the sights. I saw a daddy running in a hot pink tutu that matched his daughter's. I saw a man dressed in a full frog costume. Another in a Cinderella dress. I loved the Ariel tails and the princess dresses that passed me. I was also touching to see pictures of babies and friends that runners were dedicating their efforts to. I really tried to take time and mentally take in what I was seeing. So many people were encouraging and all the volunteers clapped and cheered at all the watering stations and sight seeing stops.
Mentally, I had to decide I could do it. After I prayed for strength, I rememebered everyone that I HAD to tell that I finished. I thought of David and how much he believed in me. I thought of my 6 friends that would have finished before me, with no doubt that I would be right there behind them. I thought of my mom who was waiting by the mile 13 marker. I couldn't wait to call my Daddy and tell him that I did it. Then, I thought of the 50 some 4th graders that believed in me. I didn't have an option to tell them that I didn't do it. I thought about faking a fainting spell and what would happen if I slowed down and was picked up. It just wasn't an option. I thought and thought and kept on moving. When I got to mile 11, I made a new friend. Her name was Cori and she said she couldn't do it. I told her we both could and we wouldn't stop until we saw our familes. Her husband and son were waiting for her near my mom. We didnt' stop until we saw them and when I saw my mom, I ran up and cried. She said, "I love you but you aren't done yet." I ran the last tenth of a mile like I knew I was going to finish all along. Dolores was waiting for me and Allyssa was right behind her. I hugged her and cried and it hit me. I finished. I didn't know until that minute that I could.
I'm not one to show pride in myself but with the help of God, my friends, family, and a little of my sweat and tears, I finished.
We met up with mom and John and found Becky and took some more pictures. I look horrible in all of them but I was so happy.
When I called David to tell him that I was done, he asked how I was feeling and every other question except if I finished. I said, "I did it. I finished." The relief and excitement I heard in his voice made me so happy. I called so many people! I texted everyone else and anyone else that wasn't in those two categories, were notified by facebook. LOL. (Lots of people who I'm sure don't care at all.)
My ankles started to swell with pain and after walking like a 90 year old (actually I know 90 year olds who get around a lot better) I spend the afternoon at the pool. That night I iced my ankle and rested. It's amazing how much a good night's sleep will do for you.
The next morning, I drove home and either I really looked great without makeup or I looked like I was in pain. When I stopped at a gas station, three different men ran to open the door for me. They didn't ask what was wrong but could tell I was hurting.
After spending the morning with Dr. Dunn by podiatrist, I decided I love numbing cortizone shots. I was able to walk into school and tell my kid that I did it. They had so many questions adn were so proud.

I will never forget this weekend and the Disney Princess Half Marathon. Girls, we did it and while I tease them that it was a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity for me, I might be pursuaded to do some other high endurance events in the future.
Lake Lanier Sprint Triathlon anyone?

I love you Amy! What an inspiring story. And yet you also helped motivate another person to finish when she was ready to give up. I'm so glad that I had this experience with you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you Berr!! I can't wait to see you tomorrow and hear about it in person, though this does give me an idea!! Awesome!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Amy! So inspiring!!! You did awesome!
ReplyDelete